Original recipe from Marcella Hazan
Tomato sauce with onion and butter
The simplicity of this dish will rock your socks off! 3 ingredients, that's it! Don't skip the butter as it adds an incredible velvety texture to the sauce. I have found better results using fresh tomatoes but canned tomatoes (preferably San Marzano) are fine too.
Author: Marcella Hazan
Recipe type: sauce
- 2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes (previously blanched for a minute or so and peeled) or 2 cups canned imported Italian tomatoes
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- salt to taste
- Chop the blanched tomatoes and put them in a saucepan
- Add the butter, onion, salt and cook uncovered at a very slow but steady simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour (closer to an hour if using fresh tomatoes)
- Stir from time to time, mashing up any large piece of tomato with a wooden spoon
- Taste and correct for salt.
- You can discard the onion, as recommended by Hazan or not.
- Best served with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano