Pasta is pretty much a weeknight must-have dinner in our house. My daughter is literally obsessed over pasta and tomato sauce and so is my husband. I think they would have it every night (sigh) so it forces me to get a bit creative in this department.
I could of course use this sauce and call it a night and honestly, this happens at times. It’s fine. And no ones cares but me. Besides the feeling that I slacked off, I also feel I could do a better job at providing my little girl the nutrition she needs. A mother’s guilt has no limit…This might sound a little too dramatic but you get the picture. The other incentive is that my daughter would probably eat anything anything as long as it comes with tomato sauce so this is the perfect opportunity to sneak in any vegetables or meat that she would have a problem eating on its own.
I want to share my way to embellish a pretty basic staple pantry meal and give it a homemade quality and take you from store bought Marinara Sauce to Rustic Italian Sausage, Peppers and Mushrooms Pasta in just a few, quick steps.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 Italian turkey sausage (I use mild), casings removed
1 onion, diced
1 red or orange pepper, cut into strips
Baby Bella mushrooms, pint, cap removed and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 32 ounces jar of Marinara Sauce
5 basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
32 ounces of Spaghetti
1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, add the turkey sausage break it apart with a wooden spoon as you cook it for a few minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
3. In the same skillet, add the onion, the garlic, the pepper and mushrooms and cook until the vegetables start to soften. Season with salt, pepper to taste and the oregano.
4. Put the turkey sausage back in the skillet and toss well to combine.
5. Add the marinara sauce and the basil and let it simmer for a few minutes.
6. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet, toss well to combine all ingredients. Voila!