Let’s start the year with a great weeknight dinner. Highly addictive and comforting. This is a loose and simplified version of Gwyneth Paltrow’s Singapore Rice Noodles. I also reduced the amount of salt (tamari) quite significantly. You can always add more at the table if you would like.
This dish comes together fairly easily but does require a few steps. I typically steam the broccoli florets and green beans before hand. I also like to cook the tofu ahead of time in a different pan so that all my ingredients are prepped when I am ready to start. This can all be done while you soak the noodles. On a last note, I like to use an egg but you can totally omit that if you are vegan.
- 8 oz Brown Rice Noodles (I use these)
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, pressed and cooked.
- 2 tablespoons Peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons Toasted sesame oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped steamed brocoli
- 1/2 cup steamed green beans, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces (optional)
- 1 cup peas (I use frozen)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1/8 cup tamari
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro
- Press the tofu for 15 minutes: remove the tofu from the packaging, wrap in several paper towels and set something heavy on top, such as a cast iron skillet.
- Soak the rice noodles in boiling water for at least 20 minutes.
- Steam the broccoli florets, as well as green beans if using
- Cut the tofu in cubes
- Warm some vegetable oil in a skillet and pan-fry the tofu until golden. The pieces should be browned and crispy.
- In a wok, warm 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and sesame oil. When the oils are hot but not smoking, add the onion and cook until slightly caramelized. Transfer to a bowl with the broccoli, peas, beans as well as tofu
- Add another tablespoon of each oil, add the soaked and drained noodles, the curry powder and 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and toss to combine. Use thongs to make sure the curry is evenly distributed. The noddles should be moist so add more water if needed.
- Make space in the middle of the noodles and add the egg, stir vigorously as you mix it with the noodles.
- Add the reserved vegetables and tofu, tamari, scallions and cilantro and stir everything to combine and serve.